Saturday, March 03, 2007

Kerala Backwaters

To get back up to Cochin I caught the early morning train to Kollem where i Boarded the ferry for a ride through the backwaters to Allepey, my consolation prize for not finding someone to do the one night houseboat ride with. I ended up spending most of the 8hr ride reading 'Into the Wild' by Jon Krakauer, but finally did manage to glance up for the last 2+hrs. The ride was nice, but I wasn't super comfortable in my red plastic chair with its weakened back, and at one point (why I'm still not sure) the boat was tipped slightly right so that everytime I adjusted my chair I almost tipped out of it. I think I'll have to do the houseboat at some point to really appreciate the backwaters.

Photos: Backwaters

1 comment:

Agn! Sharman said...

Uttaman of Vamanapuram River : THE BOATMAN'S STORY

For 30 years, Uttaman has been ferrying residents of four villages in Nedumangad district, Kerala, across the Vamanapuram river — not for money, or fame, but simply because he knows there's no other way.

Read on More at http://www.simplymalayalees.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=175&PN=1