Thursday, March 16, 2006

Gear: Round 1

So...I have yet to find out exactly when I will be set free, and while I should be told sometime next week there are rumored 'developments' that indicate some additional people may be kept on, 'detained' if you will. Needless to say I hoping and praying to NOT be one of those unlucky individuals. We'll know in a week I guess.

In the meantime, I've done so much research on where to go, what to do, what to take, etc. that several things are happening: since my options are reasonably limitless and there are so many choices, 'analysis paralysis' keeps trying to creep in; despite not knowing exactly when I'll be going, I have started to accumulate the things that I will be using and taking with me.

One of the big questions that I wrangled with for many months was whether to take a nice, new, bulky dSLR (Nikon d70s) that would be harder to carry around but take amazing photos, or to get a very compact digital camera which might not match the dSLR in picture quality but would be much easier to carry in my pocket anywhere I went, thus allowing for more photo ops. I ultimately decided on the Sony DSC-T9. While I'm still not 100% satisfied with my decision ('analysis paralysis'), I decided that the features, form factor, and price were all right. Time will tell.

Another recent aquisition is the REI Flash UL Pack, which is a 1000cc 'day pack' that turns inside out to become a stuff sack. It has an internal sleeve to hold a hydration resevoir, is made of 'silicone-infused' nylon, and weighing in at only 10oz I figure it will come in pretty handy. The other option was the Marmot Kompressor.

Next on the list: main pack, clothes, tickets, visas, shots. Under the 'Links' section, I've compiled a list of links to some of the gear, travel sites, and other online resources that I've come across during my planning. By far the best source I've found is the 'Travel Independent' site which has a very comprehensive, some might say exhaustive, break down of 'what to pack', 'where to go', 'before you go', 'county summaries', and 'on the road'. I would certainly recommend it to anyone planning any kind of short or long term minimalist/backpacker travel. If anyone has any other resource recommendations please let me know.

No comments: