Monday, March 27, 2006

Shoes, Socks and Underwear

I ordered my shoes this week which should be here in the next few days; I went with the Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR trail-running shoes. I tried them on at the store and they fit like a glove, easily one of the most comfortable trail shoes I've ever tried. They have a very supportive yet flexible sole with deep heel cup that keeps the foot in place. One of the best features is the lacing system which just requires a pull in order to even tighten the laces along the whole shoe, for a snug, even fit. Another great feature is that the shoe is primarily made of Gore-Tex to allow breathability but keep water out. I think these are going to be great.

To go along with the shoes, I picked a few pairs of new socks. I've been trying out the SmartWool Adrenaline and I must say that they are some of the most comfortable socks I've used; they fit snug, stay in place, wick moisture. We'll have to see how good the odor resistance is. I also picked up the SmartWool Ultra Light, which is very similar to the Adrenaline but a bit thinner and cooler for those extra hot days. Overall my feet are going to be extremely comfortable (hopefully) on this trip.

Finally, I picked up some super high-tech underwear: the Ex Officio and REI MTS boxers. They are both made of new fangled fibers and what not that help wick away moisture, resist odor and bacteria, pack small and dry quick. Comfort is key.

No comments: