Saturday, April 01, 2006

Sleeping

Sleeping has been another tricky issue: to being a sleeping bag or just a liner? to bring a sleeping pad or no? to bring a bivy sack or no? So far I have decided to take a sleeping bag, liner, and pad, and while I'm leaning against not taking a bivy sack the jury is still out. For the sleeping bag, in keeping with the 'ultralight' theme, I ordered the Western Mountaineering Highlite. This bag is rated for 40 degrees, and amazingly only weighs 1lb. All indications are that this bag is perfect for this kind of trip: light, warm, small, and durable.

To provide some insulation, a little padding and overall make sleeping on the ground just a bit more enjoyable, I also picked up a 3/4 length sleeping pad. Originally I was intent on getting the Therm-a-Rest ProLite 3 due to its small pack size. At the counter however, I was convinced to give the REI Lite-Core a try instead. The Lite-Core is definately very comfortable, and as a bonus it comes with a stuff sack and repair kit, overall saving me ~$40 over the Therma-a-Rest. Unfortunately the Lite-Core is a bit heavier and more bulky to pack, a factor which I'm thinking may out weigh the cost savings and require a return. I'll give it a couple more days.

No comments: