Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Walking the Digital Tight-Rope

To square the electronics away and make sure I can take all the pictures possible, I picked up another 1GB SanDisk Memory stick, a second Camera Battery, and a travel charger. One obvious concern was running out of memory for my camera, since I'm only taking one 1GB stick and one 512MB stick. In order to overcome this problem, my plan is to upload all of my photos to Flickr, which will allow me to upload upto 2GB of photos per month, and essentially act as an online photo archive. To aid in this upload process I purchased a SanDisk MobileMate Memory Stick Reader.


Another 'digital' concern is the fact that while I will have internet access, I will almost exclusively be using internet Cafe's for access. Internet Cafe's certainly make things easier than having to carry my own laptop, etc, however the big downside is that any sites I visit, will store cached data on the local system which could be a problem if I'm accessing things such as my bank accounts. To help mitigate this risk I'm taking a 2GB A-Data Flash Drive, loaded with a suite of 'portable apps' for anything from email, web-browsing, watching/editing videos, editing images, etc, all of which can be found at PortableApps.com and the Portable Apps Wiki. The basic idea is that I can use these applications on the flash drive, and not have to leave behind any data on the Internet Cafe system, we'll see how well that works in practice. For one more level of security, all of my data on the flash drive will be encrypted using TrueCrypt, which provides encryption that is "automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent", so that if I lose the drive or it gets stolen, all of my data will be secure.

If anyone wants more info on the portable-apps, let me know.

No comments: