Sunday, April 09, 2006

Gear: Few more things

My Pack arrived over the weekend, and I finally had a chance to pack everything up and see how it all fit. A bit to my surprise, the pack is pretty darned full with everything in it, but there is still a bit of breathing room. The biggest surprise however is that with everything (sans my sleeping bag and a few toiletries) the pack only weighs about 15lbs completely packed. Trekking is going to be easier than I thought. At this point, I think the only things left to pick up are toiletries (shampoo, deodrant, etc), medical stuff (advil, bandaids, etc), pen/journal, a few other odds and ends and we should be good to go.

To help keep things organized, I did pick up a few seperate stuff sacks (Outdoor Research Helium Compression Sack and Helium Ditty Bags) for: socks, underwear, shirts, pants, dirty clothes. Having everything seperated makes it a breeze to pack and unpack everything and find exactly what I'm looking for.

I've also started to test the gear out: the REI towel is pretty amazing, it soaks up water much better than the previous 'camping towel' I used and dries extremely fast. The camera is performing well, but there are still a lot of features to familiarize myself with. The socks and boxers and performing well, but I've yet to decide if they were worth the price.

No comments: