Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Carnivore

Two fellow travelers, Kristen and Fernando, that I met back in southern Turkey on the blue cruise, were passing through Kenya this weekend on their way to a 22 day overland tour from Nairobi to Victoria Falls. I was fortunate to catch up with them and join their tour group for a great night and dinner at one of Nairobi's best restaurants: Carnivore.

What an experience! The restaurant was exactly as it had been described to me: you start the meal with a flag at the center of your table, as long as that flag is standing waiters will continue to come by offering to cut you a slice of various meat from traditional beef, chicken, lamb to ostrich, camel and crocodile, all skewered on big swords used to carry the meat and dispense from. After stuffing yourself to a point of incapacitation, the flag is lowered in 'surrender' and you're forced to make a little more room as they bring out coffee and dessert.

I think we all had a great night talking with fellow travelers, and reverting to primal instincts as serving after serving of nothing but meat was carved from big skewered slabs onto our plates. I have to say that my favorite was definitely the ostrich meatballs. I was really surprised when I finally stood up to waddle out of the restaurant, to see that it had taken us over 3 hours to finally surrender. Definitely not a place for vegetarians!

Photos: Nairobi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss the Carnivore!