Saturday, June 03, 2006

Emotionality

It turns out that leaving work was much more difficult than anticipated; even though you know it's coming, it's tough to abruptly stop a 40hr a week habit, even if you didn't necessarily love it. Above all, it wasn't so much the work that's missed, but the people that made it bearable.

Seeing as I'm only in Boston, it doesn't quite feel like I'm 'on my way', but I imagine once I start hearing foreign accents and languages it will hit me pretty hard. You always hear people talk about being in your 'comfort zone' and that leaving it is such a good way to grow, that was one of the motivations for this trip: to leave the comfort zone. I'm only now realizing how comfortable that really was, and I think that's due in large part to all of the great relationships and people that it feels like I'm 'leaving behind'.

This trip has a very qualitatively different feel than past travels in the sense that it's not a vacation with a foreseeable end, and at the same time I'm not completely moving to a new place, but it falls somewhere in between: its a 'vacation' but with the timeline of a move. (I use 'vacation' very loosely, I think it's going to be much harder than that.) With this sense of vacation, it feels like a great chance for some new, fun experiences while the sense of moving brings a feeling that everyone and everything is going to move on without you. While I am confident that it will be, right now it's not so clear that it would be worth it if indeed things did completely move on in my absence.

No comments: