Thursday, June 29, 2006

Troy

I finally left Istanbul and struck out on my own across the vast expanse of Turkey. My first stop was a town called Canakkale, just outside of which rest the remains of Troy. I took an overnight buy from Istanbul and arrived in Canakkale early Tuesday morning and after a quick nap hoped on a tour bus to Troy. I'm sorry to say that, as I had been warned, Troy turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. There is a giant wooden horse replica (apparently built specifically for tourists as it has windows), and a lot of scattered ruins. Interestingly, Troy has been rebuilt, largely from the ground up, 9 different times and it was pretty amazing to see a cross-section of the many different layers on top of each other. Troy was certainly much more interesting with the Tour guide, without whom it would have been a bunch of useless scattered ruins.

Photos: Troy

No comments: