Monday, July 24, 2006

Bus`n it to Sarajevo

I am beginning to realize exactly how spoiled I was by the bus rides in Turkey...

I knew that the bus ride to Sarajevo wasn`t going to be pretty, but apparently my expectations weren`t quite low enough. The ride involved taking one bus across the border with Serbia, over to Nish (about 5hrs) where I would transfer to another bus to continue on to Sarajevo (about 9hrs). Things started out decent enough, the bus from Sofia to Nish, while a bit old, was pretty roomy and had pretty good AC. The 5hrs passed fairly quickly with the help of my iPod.

We got to Nish, had a brief respite before boarding bus number two. I boarded to find seats with half the leg room of an economy class alirline seat, no AC, and prison guard style spot lights to light the walk way from above, strategically positioned to shine directly through ones eyelids no matter how tightly they were held shut. Needless to say, the 9hr ride was a sweat soaked, knee and neck dabilitating journey...I tried to look at it as `training` for Africa.

No comments: