Sunday, July 02, 2006

Downtime in Selcuk

Yesterday was a needed rest day. Having been on more than my fair share of buses since Monday, and going through a bit of 'ruins overload' I ended up spending the day hanging out with a canadian couple also staying at 'Jimmys Place' that I met the day before on the free ride to Ephesus.

We spent the day hopping from one eatery to the next consuming meatball sanwiches, tea, baklava, hummus, and copious amounts of water to help stave off the incessant heat (something that later caught up with me on my late night bus ride). During all of this consumption, they shared some of their travel stories with me. Sebastian spent 8 months in South East Asia several years ago and offered some helpful tips, including how to handle the use of the 'water gun' when no toilet paper is around. He also told me about a fascinating trip spent walking through the giant sand dunes of Tunisia for a 5 days, something that I have definately added to my list for some point in the future. He emphasized bringing my own sleeping bag for such a trip, as his friend got stuck sleeping in the 'blankets' they put between the camel and the cargo during the day!

After the leisurely day, I grabbed a late night bus to Fethiye and arrived at 3:30am, quite a bit earlier than the stated ETA of 6am...not a good thing. I'll spend the next day or so here before taking a 4 day/3 night cruise over to Olympos.

No comments: