Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sarajevo

After initially planning on just passing through Bosnia, I was convinced to stop off for a few days in Sarajevo if I could spare them. I have to admit, I was very pleasantly surprised. Sarajevo lies in a valley, surrounded by mountains on all sides completely covered in lush vegetation; very picturesque.

The first day was spent lounging after the long, sleepless bus ride. The hostel was very well placed directly next to a tastey, cheap bakery and across the street from a square that`s part of the old town containing lots of cafes. The coffee here is excellent, I`ve been lapping up the cappacinos, and I don`t even really like coffee.

I spent the second day on a tour that talked a lot about the war with the Serbs (pictures are forthcoming). We visited a tunnel that was built to connect Sarajevo with outer Bosnia for ferrying of supplies, men, etc. We saw the sniper alley where people were constantly gunned down by serbs in the hills, and visited the Jewish grave yard used by the snipers. It was very disturbing and and disconcerting to hear first hand account of the war, and especially the total and utter failure of the UN in so many different areas.

Last night I arrived in Mostar, a small town 2 1/2hrs south of Sarajevo, for a brief stop over before heading to Dubrovnik in Crotia tomorrow morning.

Photos: Sarajevo
Video: Sarajevo Panorama

No comments: