Sunday, July 23, 2006

Last night in Sofia

After dearest mom took off, I decided to stick around Sofia for one more day/night and do a little reading/writing and take it easy for a bit longer before shoving off once more. I thought it would be relativly easy to get a spot in a hostel, but stopping by the recommended `hostel mostel´ I was sorely mistaken as they were booked for days, but kindly directed me to the `hostel sofia´ down the road.

While not the cleanest or most spacious hostel I´ve stayed in, by any means, hostel sofia was cozy with friendly people. I thought it was going to be a calm, relaxed evening until I discovered that there was an extremely emaciated, chain smoking (with smokers cough to match), racist extremist, bulgarian woman amongst the rest of the averagely docile backpackers. Having blocked out her racial shouts at the TV for over an hour, I decided to call it an early night. It was only once I´d crawled into bed and had just fallen asleep that an incredibly loud, flemy smokers cough roused me with the realization that the woman was staying in our room! The rest of the night was spent unsuccessfully trying to block out the wince inducing cough, with scattered glimpses of sleep surprising me now and then.

And then it was off to Sarajevo...

No comments: