Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Arusha

Arush isn't too far from Moshi luckily, so I was able to skip the long bus ride for a day. I met up with my good childhood friend Timo just outside of Arusha where he showed me the hotel he's working at, The Ngurdoto Mountain Lodge, an amazing place; an old coffee farm that has been converted into a hotel complete with seven presedential villas! A place I will have to come back on my way to climb Kili.

Tim and I spent the rest of the day hanging out in Arusha and catching up on travel, plans, and life in general. When night fell we met up with a few of Tim's friend at a local pub...a small cement slab next to a small shack, slightly covered with a tin roof. We hung out for a few hours, and our crowed grew from five to thirteen and our small white table filled with empty bottles: soda, coke, beer, whiskey. I sat listening to Swahili conversations and jokes sprikled with just enough english that I could figure out what was going on. When it finally started raining around 9pm we decided to go grab some dinner, and Tim took me to another local spot for some delicious chicken stew with ugali.

The next day Tim and I said our good-byes and he set me on a shuttle bus back to Nairobi to rest up for a few days before pressing on to Ethiopia.

Photos: Arusha

No comments: