Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Zanzibar: Stonetown

When I asked at the reception at 7am about catching the ferry (a 2 min drive away) at 7:30, I was quickly whisked into a taxi and told that I was running extremely late and might miss it. At the port I was rushed around from one window to another to get a ticket, all the while being told the ferry was getting ready to leave. Ticket in hand I ran down the ramp, expecting to have to toss my bag and jump to the boat as it was pulling away...instead I ended up sitting for 30+mins before we took off.

I got to Zanzibar and quickly found myself being followed by a tout...who would prove his persistence by following me around for 5-6hours while I wandered around Stonetown, had lunch, found accomodation! He eventually did prove somewhat useful in arranging a bus to take me to the other side of the island early the next morning.

After dropping my stuff at the Vuga guest house I did a bit more exploring and bumped into a group of American students from Lewis and Clark doing study abroad in east africa. I had dinner with them and they told me about being on safari for several weeks and living with different local tribes. We also stumbled upon a big night market near the water packed with stalls, illuminated by small gas lamps, selling different curious, fresh sugar cane juice, all manner of fresh seafood, and tastey 'african pizza' (a kind of crepe with different savory or sweet stuffings).

Photos: Zanzibar

No comments: