Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On to Dar

I caught a matatu from Malindi to Mombasa, and true to form had to transfer twice due to technical problems (a leaking tire, followed by a leaking radiator). I caught up withe Alexis and Caroline in mtwapa and spent the night in Mombasa before hoping a bus early the next morning across the border into Tanzania to Dar es Salaam

We hit the border at about 10am and it was the easiest border crossing I've had all trip; being the only white person around they quickly ushered me through each line. Thanks to a series of short naps and a brief lunch stop the day and ride passed quickly and we were actually on target to make it to Dar in just over 8hrs until we hit the last 30+km or so outside of Dar. Due to some accident on the 2 lane road it took us about 3hours to travel the remaining distance. When we finally arrived, after dark, the combination of fatigue and change in currency made me prey for shrewed taxi drivers and thanks to miscommunication I was ripped off for my short ride...$10us.

I checked into the Jambo Guest House, scarfed a quick chicken dinner, checked email and headed to bed for much needed rest, before catching the early morning ferry to Zanzibar the next morning.

No comments: