Wednesday, November 15, 2006

In Lamu

I hopped off the bus and took a short dhow (wooden boat) ride over to the island, with only a brief moment of concern when I eyed big buckets of water being bailed from the bottom of the boat, but we made it to the island without incident. I made my way to the the Casurina Guest House, my home for the next 3 nights, and was given a dingy room with peeling paint, and a bed that felt like a wooden table, but at least it had a mosquito net.

I grabbed some fabulous 'swahili fish' (grilled fish with coconut sauce and a side of rice) and a giant mug of fresh, thick juice (fantastic!) at the nearby 'Bush Gardens' restaurant before retiring to the roof of Casurina to listen to the water before turning in for an early night.

I started the next day with an omlette and another big glass of fresh juice before making the 30min trek to the the side of the island that is Shella Beach. As I rounded the corner and saw the empty expanse of sand and water I thought, 'finally the kind of beach I've been looking for these past few months'! I spent several hours strolling around, catching some rays (and getting sunburned), taking photos, splashing in the water and finishing off a few books before heading back to town for some lunch. I spent the afternoone catching up on my journal on top of Casurina and was join by lizzie, an english doctor on the island volunteering at the local hospital for a few weeks as well as working as an extra in a german movie being filmed on the island.

The next 2 days were spent with a similar schedule of lounging, lazing, beaching, and eating. To avoid the hellacious bus ride back I decided it was worth spending a few extra dollars to catch the 25min flight back to Malindi...definitely worth it.

Photos: Lamu

No comments: