Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Foot of Kilimonjaro

I caught another early bus to head towards Moshi, the town at the base of Mount Kilimonjaro (Africa's tallest mountain). Unfortunately we experienced a breakdown (radiator problem) about 3 hours outside of Moshi and ended up stranded for about 3 hours while the driver tried to fix the problem with some epoxy. I had my doubts but it eventually worked and we finally rolled in to Moshi after a 12hr day. Fortunately in the terminal before the ride I met a New Yorker, Anne, doing a few months of travel and we passed a lot of the time swapping travel stories; she had just come off of a horendous 48hr train ride from Lusaka, Zambia to Dar, packed in a 4x6 compartment with 5 other women!

Since I didn't have the money, gear or time to climb Kili this time around I did want to spend a day or two doing a bit of day hiking around the lower part of the mountain. My plans were foiled fairly quickly when it was pouring rain on day one, and then on day two all of the places I talked to wanted a minimum of $100 to take me on a day hike! I decided I'd save my money and come back in a few years to finish things. After two relatively placid, rainy days I decided to press on to Arusha before making the final push back to Nairobi.

Photos: Moshi

No comments: