Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Day in Dar

On the ferry back to Dar I met another Aussi traveler, Alison, that was on her last day of a 3 month trip in east africa that involved surviving a matatu crash (in which the matatu flipped several times), climbing kilimonjaro, spending a month living/teaching in a rural village and a couple weeks on Zanzibar. We disembarked at the port and found a place to stay, and she told me about her travels over spicy chicken dinner and kebab.

I stuck around Dar the next day doing a bit of walking around the city and sorting out my bus ticket to Moshi for the next day. I was surprised to see that in comparison to Nairobi Dar for a large part seemed to be relatively dead, especially at night...dark, quiet streets with occasional pockets of young guys milling around a broken car or on a street corner. Dar wasn't my favorite place, perhaps I missed something, but I was ready to move on after 1 day.

No comments: