Thursday, August 17, 2006

Croatia: Mljet and Korcula

Having had such a good experience in Dubrovnik and having no specific plans, grandpa suggested that I go stay in his house in Sobra on the island of Mljet close by, which I did. A wonderful small island town that gave me the chance to escape the hustley, bustley mode for a few days and just relax by the cool green and blue water, albeit on a concrete slab of a beach. On Mljet, I met Aisling and Athol, a couple from England, who were having a bit more success than I when it came to relaxing. We spent the evening cooking a wonderful pasta meal (my first home cooked meal of the trip) and reading a play, which was a fun and new experience.

After three days of relaxing I started to get a bit antsy and decided to press on to the island of Korcula, which also has a nice 'old town' similar to that in Dubrovnik but much smaller. I have to admit that Korcula was a bit more my speed and size, perfect for leisurly strolls and a bit of getting lost, but not to lost. The first night there I met a fellow American traveler who provided some reassuring words about long term solo-travel as we swapped travel stories over dinner. I ended up in the 'one love' hostel, where there were no locks on any doors, you only get 10mins in the bathroom, and the party goes to the early morn. Needless to say, sleep was not bountiful.

Photos: Mljet, Korcula
Videos: Sobra Beach, Live Music in Korcula

No comments: