Thursday, August 17, 2006

Croatia: Split and Zadar

As I headed North I was hoping that things in Croatia would get slightly cheaper, and was a bit surprised when I arrived in Split to even higher prices for accomodation and food. I stayed in Split for two nights, in the house of an old woman who liked to wander into my room at all times unannounced (especially at 8am when I was freshly woken) and tell me long stories in Croatian despite my gestures of incomprehension. She was friendly, and we did manage to share some comprehension through our smiles, I think she was just a little lonely. Split houses another old town, similar to the others, but surrounding the remnants of Diocletian's Palace. I explored the old town with two Irish students I met and got the chance to brush up on my fashion sense as we bounced from one clothier to the next in the old town.

I continued my way up the coast to Zadar and made the acquaintance of two Australian travelers, both on vacation from working in London and traveling solo. The three of us stumbled around the Zadar old town in search of accomodation and ended up in the apartment of a man named 'Robert Wagner' (not the actor). Robert was nice enough, but things soon proved strange: it appeared that the girls and I had been assigned to stay in the master bedroom of Robert's parents, complete with clothes, china, and pictures of young robert and his sisters. The remainder of the apartment consisted of three other bedrooms also let out to travelers as well as a kitchen/lounge area which appeared to serve as Robert's bedroom, with clothes stacked on the sofa and countless nail-clippers, nail-files, and scissors splayed out on the tiny kitchen table. Another oddity was the pervasive presence of ballet paraphernalia throughout the house...all adding to the mystery was Robert Wagner. The strangeness aside, Zadar was a relatively quick and uneventful stop on the way to the Plitvice Lakes National Park.

Photos: Split, Zadar
Video: View from my window in Split

No comments: