Thursday, August 17, 2006

Italy: Venice

Several people had told me in the past that Venice was not worth seeing and so I never really had much interesting, but seeing as my train had to pass directly through it to get to Geneva I decided to stop off for a couple of days and check things out. I have to say that those people were wrong! I loved Venice. Admittedly, the major tourist spots (Rialto Bridge, and San Marco Square) were certainly over run and made me want to get away fast, but the beauty and charm of Venice is getting lost in the maze of narrow streets among small hidden restaurants, cafes, and squares while enjoying the multitude of different buildings all in varied states of decay. I certainly could have spent more than the three days I was there and may soon go back.

While in Venice I also visited the nearby islands of Murano (famous for glass blowing) and Burano (with an amazing array of different colored buildings), where I spent an afternoon doing even more wandering, filled in with some reading and writing here and there.

After only 3 days in Venice I caught the night train to Geneva, which was a mistake.

Photos: Venice, Burano
Videos:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the colored buildings!

Anonymous said...

So why was the night train to Geneva a mistake? Any good stories?

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm one of the Spanish boys who shared the dorm with you.

I just wanted to say that it was very nice to meet you, and i hope that everything run perfect on your all-around-the-world trip!!

Good luck!

Pablo