Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mostar to Dubrovnik

I was originally planning only 2 days in Mostar, but when I showed up at the bus station on the morning of day 3 to catch the 10am bus, I was informed that there are only 3 buses a day (7am, 10am, 1am), that there are only 5 seats available on each bus, and that the 10am was sold out so I would have to wait for the 1am. Upon asking for a ticket I was told I would just have to buy one from the bus driver when the bus arrived at 1am.

The day passed fairly quickly with a bit of reading, lots of coffee drinking, and several chavapi meals. I showed up at the station at 9am to wait. Around 11 the on-set of sore, scratchy throat, ferver, headache, and chills were settling in, and by 1am it was in full swing. Though several buses came and went, none were the one I needed. About 1:30am I started chatting with a group that was apparently waiting for the same bus, and they informed me that they had been told they all had reservations and tickets aboard the coming bus and were very surprised that I didn`t.

When the bus finally arrived at 2am the bus driver was very reluctant to take my money and let me on the bus, but after some hard-nosed, hand-signal driven negotiations he relented and I was awarded a spot. We pulled into Dubrovnik at 4:40am, to the wonderful aroma of salty ocean air.

No comments: