Saturday, August 26, 2006

Switzerland: Geneva

Geneva...

I had never planned on heading as far west as Italy, let alone Switzerland, but in my search to find a cheap way back to Istanbul that didn't involve three+ continuous days of trains and buses, I found a relatively inexpensive flight for 40euro from Basel Switzerland to Istanbul. I figured this would be a good option if nothing else presented itself. Not soon after finding the flight, an friend from highschool that I hadn't been in contact with for years sent me an email out of the blue...and coincidentally she was now living just outside of Geneva. In discourse I mentioned that I might be heading up to Basel for a flight, and she invited me to come stay with her for a few days on the way and we sorted out the details of when I would show up, etc.

The day before leaving Venice for Geneva I sent her an email letting her know when I would be getting in the next morning and to reply that day if there were any issues. Since I didn't hear anything I assumed I'd see her the next morning, so you can understand my unpleasant surprise when I arrived in Geneva (having spent all night on an expensive train) to an email from her stating she would be 'out of the country until next week, explain later'. Needless to say I was a little angry, and I think justifiably so. And so here I was in Geneva with no plan and no where to stay.

I was able to find a hostel near by and grabbed a room there while I tried to figure out what to do next. I was fortunate to meet three southern belles fresh off the plane from the US for a study abroad semester in Italy. They were kind enough to let me tag along for the day as we wandered around Geneva, my favorite part being a beautiful, big park with tree lined lane and large saints wall sculpture.

I spent 3 days in total in Geneva, uploading a lot of photos, visiting the Red Cross museum and perusing the outside of the UN building, before I made up my mind to head back to Venice for a few more days where Emilie (whom I had met on my first pass through) had offered me her couch to sleep on for a few days.

I'm sorry to say I have heard narry a word from the friend that left me hanging at the train station...

Photos: Geneva

No comments: