Thursday, August 17, 2006

Croatia: Plitvice Lakes National Park and Rijeka

I arrived at the Plitvice Lakes around mid-day and wandered for a while before coming upon a house with a sign indicating they had a room available. After finding a very nice, smiley young woman inside, she explained that the room included dinner and breakfast and I would have my own bathroom all for 50...50 what I wasn't quite sure (it turned out to be Euros), but after lugging my bag around for an hour or so I decided to take it. After dumping my stuff I headed to the lakes and spent several hours walking around and exploring the amazing lakes, waterfalls and scenery. The clarity and color of the water was so amazing and different from lake to lake (11 in total) and you could look down from the wooden walk way to see fish swimming right beside you.

I met an English family that night that mentioned they were headed to Rijeka the next morning and they graciously offered to give me a ride. Unfortunately Rijeka was the dirtiest city I had seen in Croatia, with graffiti fairly rampant. Fortunately it just acted as a stop off on my way to Slovenia.

Photos: Plitvice Lakes, Rijeka
Videos: Plitvice Lakes 1, 2, 3, 4

No comments: