Thursday, August 17, 2006

Slovenia: Ljubljana and Bled

I made it to Ljubljana after a fairly uneventful but scenic 2hr train ride and was fortunate enough to get the last available bed at the Alibi hostel, a nice place with a cozy communal area, free albeit slow internet and character painted walls. It's pretty amazing how much a good 'common area' facilitates and greatly eases the process of meeting new people.

Ljubljana was a great town with lots of old streets, wonderful cafes and restaurants, great events and live music, interesting 'street art' (ala radiohead), and friendly people. Unfortunately it rained most of the three days I was there which limited my walking around to the nearest cafe/restaurant.

I did manage to make it to the small town of Bled one day, whose claim to fame are the great mountains and wooded areas surrounding bled lake, which also has a small island containing a chapel. I'm sorry to say that the rain soon induced a cold in me and so I decided to press on to the warmer weather of Venice on my way to Geneva.

Photos: Ljubljana, Bled
Videos: Alibi Hostel, Rowing Lake Bled

No comments: