Saturday, September 02, 2006

Back to Istanbul (again)

I have to admit, I wasn't too sure how I was going to like being back in Istanbul. Don't get me wrong, I loved being here the first time through, but after 10 days or however long it was, the pollution, noise, and chaos had started to get to me and I wasn't so sure about going back to all of that. I was however, anxious to get back to a place that I felt I knew relatively well and thus wouldn't feel too obligated to make the rounds of tourist attractions and so could do a little catching up, reflection, figuring, and resting before heading off to east africa on Sept 14.

Much to my surprise I met two different American couples in the airport before the flight and then on the flight over to Istanbul: one in their early 30's having quit their jobs and decided to see the world and traveling indefinately before age set in, and the other in their early 20's taking a break for a few months of travel after finishing school. It's always great to bump into and spend a bit of time getting to know like minded travelers and it's been nice to get to know these couple's a bit over the last few days rather than the more common 'meet for a day head out tomorrow' kind of encounter.

Back in Istanbul I'm staying in a great locatation near the Gallata tower, in the World House Hostel just a short distance from Taksim and the heart of Istanbul as well as the old city. I've found a few small cafe's where I plan to spend the bulk of my time over the next couple of weeks as I sift through things.

1 comment:

admorriso said...

so when you say 'a few small cafes' you really mean starbucks, dont you. you cant fool those of us that know the day-to-day of your life in istanbul.