Friday, September 01, 2006

Review: Shantaram

Doing all of this traveling I've finally had a chance to get back into the swing of reading and have been doing a lot. So here comes the first of several 'reviews'.

In preparation for my time in India, my buddy Josh had suggested that before I arrive I pick up and read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts because the depictions of Indian life and culture were very detailed and very accurate. Since the book is a wopping 944 pages, I opted to go with the audio version from audible.com, which while being 43hrs long was a bit easier on the back.

I have to say that this was one of the best books I've read in years. The authors use of language was so fine and masterful that I felt completely immersed in the story and very connected to the array of characters. There were several times when I laughed out loud, or would feel myself getting choked up, something I don't remember ever happening from a book before. Reading this book certainly made me anxious to get to India and see the things described, but I would also be lying if I said it didn't make me at least a bit apprehensive as well. I would definately recommend this to anyone that likes any kind of book really.

It also looks like they are making a movie out of it.

No comments: