Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Review: Extremely Loud and Incrediby Close

'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' by Jonathan Safran Foer was another book I was fortunate to pick up in Cinque Terre. Flipping through the book I noticed several random images, that seemed out of place, and I was anticipating one of those books that is all ove the place, with the author 'trying things'. The person that passed it along said it was a good book, but didn't give it a rave review by any means, and being that the book is centered on a boy who loses his father in the World Trade Center disaster I didn't have high hopes. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong and pleasantly surprised. Despite 'trying a few things' and perhaps because of them, along with his mastery of language, this was another book that found me choked up on my flight to Nairobi.

If you're looking for a tear jerker, I'd certainly recommend this one. I plan to pick up his first book 'Everything is Illuminated' which is supposed to be even better.

No comments: