Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Review: A Fine Balance

After an interesting discussion about India with a fellow traveler in Turkey who was heading that way, he highly recommended I read 'A Fine Balance' before I got there. This was another book that I had never heard of, but as soon as one person mentioned it I heard about it from several people over the course of the next couple of days. I picked it up on my way out of Turkey and spent my first three days in Kenya thoroughly engrossed. The story of four characters in Bombay during the mid-70's that end up together via a series of circumstances, this book takes you from utter despair to triumphant hope and back again. As another friend characterized it, "The best, depressing book you'll read."

A great read for anyone interested in knowing more about Indian life and culture, or wanting a tale of joy and sorrow

No comments: