Friday, September 01, 2006

Review: Shop Girl

When I stopped over in Venice for a few days I found Steve Martin's Shop Girl at my friend Emilie's Place, and being that it was a small and short book I figured I would kill some time with it and save my other books for down the road. Having heard nothing about it, and not necessarily being a huge Steve Martin fan I had pretty low expectations. I have to say that I was completely wrong and very pleasantly surprised. The book moves quickly and often feels, not surprisingly, like a movie script. The characters are very relatable, if not always likeable, the content surprisingly insightful, and the dry humor very refereshing after Steve Martin's slapstick debacle of The Pink Panther. Definately worth reading, and it can be polished off quite easily between dinner and bed time.

No comments: