Friday, September 08, 2006

Filming...what?

Traveling around anywhere, and especially europe, as one might expect, you see a lot of people with cameras and video cameras capturing the sites and their trip, fair enough. Camera clad tourists are nothing new by anymeans, but one of the things I noticed in europe and had forgotten about until I saw it again today, are these tourists who literally walk around filming seemingly every minute. I have watched people film a statue, with no added narration or panning or anything, for 2+ minutes. The video camera is used for something where a still camera would obviously be much more suited. This absolutely boggles my mind, and must produce boundless hours of relatively soundless statue watching and street walking, which some might call 'artsy' and others 'boring'. I know that cheap storage makes this kind of excessive filming possible, but when is anyone going to sit down and edit all of this, or worse watch it? Am I missing something here?

No comments: